"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education." ~ Charlotte Mason

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Weekly Wrap Up

Friday's are always so busy for us, so doing a weekly wrap up has been difficult. :)  I'll manage to squeak this one in though.  I haven't posted one for a couple of weeks as swimming, nature class (both on Friday's) along with heavy weekend activities have been interfering with my wrap ups.  I think I will need to do them on Thursday's. 

 My youngest has been keen to start reading and asked to be 'taught' to read.  We've been working with her in every day life but because she has asked to do some sit down work, I started her on her own reading program this week.  I am using Sonlight's Beginning Letters and Sounds Program.  She has been enjoying the activities.  In the picture above, she is working on a letter Ff page.   This program is strong on phonics as well as offering a complete Instructors Guide.  I have found it easy to follow and very complete.  
She also wanted to do math like the older two!  I started her on her math program a couple of weeks ago.  I have worked through Right Start with all of my kids as I love their approach to math.  She is beginning with their Level A.  

A half hour each day (if that) is all it takes with her.  We do tons of reading with her using Sonlight's P4/5 Core Program.  The books are delightful and timeless.  I have been purchasing Sonlight's Cores since we started home schooling with my eldest at the age of 5.  I have used this core twice now and I have to confess I have been looking forward to doing it again with my youngest.  The books are so much fun!  All my children love these books and they are favorites around here.  Not only do I get to read them again but my eldest girl (11yrs) will pick them up to read with my youngest (5yrs).  I listen to her read with enthusiasm, adjusting speed, tone and tempo as the stories change and I find myself so thankful that we use curriculum rich in literature. :)  I can tell, it's been working!
I picked up a few books from the Trailblazer Series from a Homeschool Mom who is selling a lot of her curriculum.  Her youngest is going in to College now.  These were gems for my eldest daughter.  There were four of them and she has read all of them!  She said she would love more from this series so I will keep my eye out for more.  We have read a loud a number of The Christian Heroes Then and Now Series but these were just perfect for her age group to read.  They even came with a guide for extra activities and what not.  She didn't use them, as she was using them as free reads but they are here if I want to pull it off the shelf for suggestions on further study.
We continued work on Apologia: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day and their Lap Book Study.  These are coming along.  They both enjoy learning about birds and other such creatures, so this was a good fit for this year!
Finally!!!  Jenny Cote's The Roman, the Twelve and the King   in the Epic Order of Seven was  released!  We had it pre-ordered for our eldest.  She has read all of Jenny Cote's books (see Book Sharing Monday for a peek at the first one:  The Ark the Reed and Fire Cloud). and was waiting for this next one to be released.   It's a thick one!  I love the look on her face!  We didn't hear from her for a while after that, the little book worm was busy reading! 

The last few weeks have been full of activity but they have been good, challenging at times but also have found myself thinking a number of times how thankful and blessed I am to be homeschooling my children.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice wrap-up post!
    I've been enjoying re-doing some of the same things with Celeste that I did with A & A but she is quick at pointing out that she isn't like them and doesn't always like what they liked. Ahh!
    Always learning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, she hasn't pulled that on me yet. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by! Please comment if you like. :)