"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education." ~ Charlotte Mason

Sunday, May 6, 2012

From Couch to 5K

    My eldest daughter and I are going to start training so we can do a 5K together! :)    We begin tomorrow morning.  I spoke to an avid runner for some advice and searched out a program for learning to run a 5K.  We decided to go with this one: From Couch to 5K.    Our biggest hurdle is when.  I decided to make use of a local track a couple of streets over.  My younger two love to bike around it, so we'll head out there three mornings a week; Heather and I dressed for running the other two for biking.  That way we can all get some exercise and Heather and I can get our run in.  It's a great track, fenced in, so I can see the other two as they bike, no fear of cars! :)   I've gone over the running regime with Heather, putting the emphasis on endurance rather then speed.  I know her, she'll just want to have at it right from the start!  After we've built up our endurance we can move on to interval training but ONE thing at a time!

I'm very excited to get fit and feel better.  I also think this will make a big difference for my daughter as she goes through the changes puberty will bring.  The exercise will help with her emotions and she will learn a life time discipline of fitness.   It will be nice to accomplish this together as mom and daughter too.  :)  We're determined to be ready for a 5K in 3 months time.  And, for me, I am saying to myself:  I can do this! lol

This post is linked up to Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.   Lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! Please comment if you like. :)