"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education." ~ Charlotte Mason

Friday, April 8, 2011

Moments of Beauty in the Ordinary

I have been taking the challenge of writing out a thousand gifts seriously this week. Once I set my mind to something I just do it. I think God has been preparing my heart for this. I've been challenged over the past little while to 'live in the moment', accepting that God's mercies are new every day, His grace is sufficient - always, and not to worry about tomorrow. And I've been more content lately - but this continual thanksgiving is something entirely different. I feel like I've entered into a different sphere of prayer and praise. I find myself searching for the blessings the day brings, expecting it and finding it. I've been reaching for my journal often, sometimes it's difficult and I struggle to find the gratitude but when I find it, I am so pleased that I took the time to grasp it. My kids have been watching me curiously as I do it. The last couple of days, when they see me writing in it, they gather around me to ask what I'm thankful for. I've been reading some of it to them, not all because some of it is just between me and the Lord. I have found as I read it I will sometimes feel tears pricking the backs of my eyes, not normal for me to be given to tears. I'm truly thankful. My kids have also been writing out their thankful lists - 7 per day, it's starting to move beyond the typical Mom, Dad, the dog etc. to their lists being more specific. I am working my way to 1000, and I really have discovered already that it is impossible to feel joy and negative feelings at the same time. I've discovering that when I am searching for the blessings and gifts in my life, I really can't miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! Please comment if you like. :)