"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education." ~ Charlotte Mason

Sunday, October 3, 2010

The School Year Schedule Kick Off!

On Monday we started with a brand new core - Core 3+4 from Sonlight Curriculum.  I have used SL for 5 years now and we are thrilled with the delightful literature their program has to offer.  I can not say enough good things about their approach to Homeschooling. :)  We are doing American History this year which will be followed up by at least one year of Canadian History and Geography.  

Week one went very well.  I have revamped the way we do things.  Grace and Grey are one year older, all this considered I wanted to do something more concrete in terms of a routine!  We had always had a routine but I found it was becoming difficult to get everything we needed to do, in a day.  So I went to a structured day.  Each of us has a schedule in half hour to hour increments. The schedule is up on the wall for all to see and coloured coded in the favorite colours!  I've included all our subjects, play time, 1:1 time with Mommy, snacks, chores etc.  The first couple of days were difficult as we all adjusted to doing things this way but by the end of the week we were all happy with everything.  I feel so much less stressed about how our day unfolds as we know exactly what we're doing and when.  The food has already been decided for the day as well.  I actually feel like I have MORE time in the day then I ever did!  :)  The kids seem happier and focused.   I also like that they are forming good habits whether that be chores, work or leisure.  So we are on to week two of the new schedule!  Happy Homeschooling awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! Please comment if you like. :)